What is a Read-a-thon?
A basic description of read-a-thon is that all students at school have to read and complete certain goals and raise money, that can be reading for a specified time, or reading a defined number of pages or reading specific number of books. All of this needs to be pre-decided to avoid haphazard during the campaign.
The expected sponsors and donors pledge to pay a certain amount per minute, page or book, and at the end of the fundraising campaign online donations, cash/checks are collected as per students' records.
It is an all school fundraiser and is suitable for all the grades. Apart from fundraising, read-a-thons can be organized to promote literacy curriculum and also to inculcate a reading habit in the kids.
Benefits of Read-a-thon:
- Earning with a learning experience- Students do not need to compromise with their learnings for raising funds. No sale, no peer-to-peer fundraising, no compromises, simple learning experience for kids and earnings for the school.
- High support from parents and teachers- As students are introduced to good habits and a learning environment, parents and teachers support read-a-thons and encourage participation. They help create an environment for learning and growing for kids.
- Minimum cost set up- There are no overhead charges for conducting a read-a-thon. You can easily get books and all other paperwork sponsored. Read-a-thons are simple yet efficient, completely in-house fundraising campaign that leaves everyone with a positive experience and schools with funds.
- Inculcate reading habits in students- Adding incentives and rewards for kids motivates them to read, eventually leaving them with a habit to read books. This is a self grooming habit that can help students grow into sophisticated adults.
- Fundraising with minimum number of volunteers- Read-a-thons do not require much help from volunteers, especially if you have softwares to record and track reading hours as well pledge status. Even if you DIY, there is minimum workload and can be executed with minimum number of volunteers.
How to organize a Read-a-thon?
Requirements: Basic requirements for organizing a read-a-thon are a few decisions like- what will be considered for pledges- minutes of reading, pages or books; if books, maximum number of pages a books must have; when and where will it be organized; will the students read books themselves, if not who will read them the books; which software to use for keeping a track of student activities as well as pledges; what will the budget goal; etc.
Once you have answers to all the questions, you can proceed collecting bookmarks and organizing the campaign.
Step by step procedure:
- Decide when would like to hold a read-a-thon and for how long, how would the days divided, for example-
Ten half hour sessions during class, over two weeks
Fifteen twenty minute sessions, during class, over three weeks
Two week period, out of class time, etc.
- Where would it be held?
- Organize the library as per your requirements, you can have a theme based read-a-thon, this will attract students as well as parents.
- Select a software for tracking and recording students' activities and pledges.
- Inform parents about the read-a-thon about two weeks prior so that they can be prepared.
Fundraising by Read-a-thon:
Once the challenge is over and each child has an official record of minutes, pages or books they have read, allow them two weeks to collect the money from sponsors and donors. This may be done with online donations, cash, direct deposit to the school or a combination of the three.
Who are we?
We are a Digital School Fundraising platform using which you can create a customized fundraising campaign for your PTO absolutely for free.
You get a campaign page with a sub-domain of your choice and student fundraising pages with goal splitting capability. These student pages have a section to tally the number of minutes, pages or books read.
Parents can share the student pages on all social platforms, invite friends & family via emails. PTOs can track donations/pledges in real time. The tool can save valuable volunteer hours that can be invested elsewhere.
So, start your campaign today with PTSA Fundraiser.